Keeping an open mind



The first thing to consider when you are creating your vision on a budget is to be open minded and think outside the box.  Why? Because a bargain may not always seem to be perfect or exactly what you are looking for at the time but with a little imagination it will be... I will let you in on a secret: this is all part of the fun! 

Almost everything in my home comes from eBay, car boots, charity shops, skips/bins and Gumtree. When I post a picture of what I have found on Instagram I have dressed it in my home and that is when it comes to life. 

If someone is wanting to get rid of something quickly, they aren't going to take a lovely photograph of it with a candle or a vase of flowers. It will be a quick snap that may be too dark or blurry, with a less appealing backdrop. It's important that you try to picture how it could look in your home.

When you go to a lovely boutique shop and pay full price for something it is dressed and styled to suit a lifestyle and so it is easy to visualise it in your home, this is why it is important that you think outside the box when finding a bargain.  Make sure you are paying for the item and not the lifestyle. The way I look at is, if it cheap and you get it home and think "what was I thinking?" then it doesn't matter as it didn't cost much...!

When we bought our first home I really wanted a Laura Ashley wing chair in linen. I searched everywhere and eventually found one for a ridiculous £30.00. The fabric wasn't exactly what I wanted but I knew with a nice cushion and in our home it would work. I will get onto how I found  such a bargain in a later blog post.  


In my experience, if you are thinking of starting a room in your home I would firstly paint all of the walls in Dulux matt white emulsion - you can pick a 20L tub for just £20.00 in B&Q. This will freshen the room up straight away and gives a perfect back drop for styling. You can't go wrong with white as it goes with everything! Then I would figure out what style I want and the furniture I need for the space. You can always adapt the shades of white or add colour later. Instagram & Pinterest are great for inspiration and I have met some lovely people on Instagram, who have beautiful homes that inspire me everyday. 
















Comments

  1. So inspiring Sam. You certainly have the eye for detail, and a your passion for interiors shines through into your beautiful home. Well done Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thank you so much for your lovely comment :) xx

      Delete

Post a Comment